A simple and comforting favourite!
1 litre of homemade stock - 4 cloves garlic, 2 medium potatoes, 2 large carrots, 1 apple, 1 tsp each of dried sage, thyme and cumin, 1 tsp yeast extract, a pinch of ground black pepper and 1 litre of water.
200ml French red wine
2 tablespoons cognac
1. Chop all the veg for the stock and put all the ingredients into a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Whizz up with a hand blender until nice and smooth.
3. Slice onions and fry in the red wine until translucent.
4. Add the onions and wine to the stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Add the brandy and serve.
Taking the time to make your own stock turns this soup into a filling meal and the apple adds a subtle sweetness, which is lovely in this savoury dish. We use Essential Yeast Extract, probably available from most UK health shops and must say it is worth the extra dosh!
We had this for our New Years Day supper...delicious!
Hope you enjoy it and Happy New Year to you all!
Love Kay and Sime xx